My Chocolate Chip Cookie obsession runs pretty deep. So naturally I have a favourite recipe for every occasion or mood. This is what I call my ’emotional support chocolate chip cookie’. It’s nostalgic. It’s not just big, it’s jumbo. It’s thick, chewy and gooey in the middle. This Bakery Style Jumbo Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie doesn’t ask questions. It’s just there for you when you need it like an old friend or your favourite pair of sweatpants.
Bakery Style Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 172 g Unsalted Butter (Melted) *1-1/2 sticks of butter
- 80 g Light Brown Sugar
- 60 g Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large US Whole Egg
- 1 Large US Egg Yolk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 230 g Gluten Free Flour Blend *I prefer Cup4Cup for this recipe
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 200 g Chocolate Chips
- 100 g Chocolate Chips for Topping *Option but highly encouraged
- Preheat the oven to 165°C/325°F degrees. Prep a large sheet pan with parchment paper or a silpat. In a medium bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using a whisk, mix the melted butter, sugars, whole egg and yolk, and vanilla until well combined. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, fold in the dry mixture, just until a smooth dough forms and you can’t see any streaks of flour. Mix in 200g of the chocolate chips. Cover dough with cling film or transfer to a Tupperware container and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. *This allows the flour time to absorb the liquids, creating a chewier texture, and will be much easier to handle once it is firmed up.
- Using a kitchen scale, separate the dough into eight 100g balls. If you don’t have a scale and are shaping them by eye, they will roughly the size of a tennis ball. They are big cookies! Next, take each dough ball and place it firmly down on the remaining chocolate chips until the top of each dough ball is covered in chocolate chips. Place 3-4 dough balls onto the prepared sheet pan, about 2-3 inches apart. You will need to bake these in two batches.
- Bake for approx 14-16 minutes, rotating the pan after 46-7 minutes and bake until the edges of cookies are golden, and the centre is still soft. Cool for 5-10 minutes on the sheet pan before transferring to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for 2-3 days. refrigerated dough will keep for 2-4 days.