Everyone needs a classic waffle recipe in their auxiliary for slow weekend mornings or a fun dessert night. This Gluten Free Chocolate Orange Buckwheat Waffle recipe is fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside. Just as a waffle should be.
The best thing about this recipe if you can omit the orange and switch out the cocoa for brown rice or oat flour if you want a more classic waffle.
Chocolate Orange Buckwheat Waffles
- 120g Buckwheat Flour
- 60g Fine White Rice Flour
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 70g Granulated Sugar
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- 350 ml Whole Milk
- 1/2 stick Unsalted Butter (melted)
- 1 Large US Egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 Navel Orange (juice and zest)
- Preheat waffle iron to medium.In a large bowl which together the buckwheat flour, rice flour, cocoa power, sugar, baking powder and salt. set aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring jug, mix the melted butter, milk, egg, orange juice and zest. Using a whisk, add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Coat the hot waffle iron with cooking spray and using a 1/4-1/2 measuring cup (depending on size of waffle iron)pour the batter into the middle of the waffle maker. Close the lid and cook until waffle timer goes or approx 2 min. Serve immediately or wrap in foil and keep warm in the oven for up to 30 minutes.