Banana Bread. It took over the world in 2020 when most of us were desperately trying to find a sliver of human connection during the Global Pandemic. Not so surprisingly, I think many of us found that connection in sharing recipes with one another and the humble banana gracefully took centre stage. I can’t tell you how many loaves I baked up during those first few months and yet, I’m still not sick of it! I think that says a lot about this comforting quick bread which makes the best of blackened fruit that would otherwise find its way to the compost bin.
So, after over 2 years of perfecting numerous batches of Gluten Free Banana Bread, well, Chocolate Gluten Free Banana Bread to be specific. I feel confident that this is the recipe that will live in my recipe book permanently and will likely be passed down to the next baker in my family.
Gluten Free Chocolate Banana Bread
- 400 g Ripe Bananas *approx 4-5 bananas
- 135 g Light Brown Sugar
- 70 g Granulated Sugar
- 115 g Unsalted Butter (Melted)
- 2 Large US Eggs
- 160 g Sour Cream
- 250g g Gluten Free Flour Blend *I used Bob's 1 to 1
- 55 g Cocoa Powder
- ¾ tsp Baking Powder
- 1¼ tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/350°F degrees. Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and line with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, sift together gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a electric-mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the ripened bananas on medium-low until smooth and creamy. Add sugars, and melted butter. Turn the mixer to low and start adding the eggs one at a time, until fully incorporated. Add the yogurt and continue beating until homogenized, approx 1-2 minutes.
- Using a large spatula, gently fold in the dry mixture until just combined. Try not to overmix otherwise the texture might become too gummy.*Optional, you can add 200g or Chocolate Chips to the mixture before baking for an extra chocolatey loaf.
- Bake for approx 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Allow to cool completely in the loaf pan before cutting. Wrap the loaf in cling-film and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.